Essential oils are essential (quite literally) to our lives. It is said essential oils can do anything from lift your mood and spirit to healing wounds, and helping calm us down before we leave for school or work in the morning.
Essential oils have gained a lot of popularity over the past several years, and you’ve probably seen at least one advertisement for essential oils in the past month. Some people may use essential oils for aromatherapy purposes, while others have an issue or ailment they’re focused on solving. One ailment that essential oils have been found to be particularly helpful in is nausea. So what essential oil is good for nausea? Read on to find out!
What Exactly are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are concentrated oils that are extracted directly from plants. These oils are distilled and bottled so that you can enjoy these powerful oils and reap the benefits. There are so many different varieties, blends, and stand alone oils to choose from that it can be a bit overwhelming and difficult for people to figure out which ones would be best for them.
How Do They Work?
Whether you’re inhaling straight from the bottle, using topically, diffusing, or ingesting essential oils, the elements of these increasingly popular oils are all naturally occuring, so they are each unique and work with different systems of our bodies and our senses. Some can promote a good night’s sleep, while others can prevent inflammation in our bodies.
Read More About What Essential Oils Are Good For Bruises
What About Essential Oil for Nausea?
As essential oils have become more popular, nausea has been one of the top ailments that people are seeking relief from. There are many oils and blends that can ease nausea, regardless of the root cause of your upset stomach. Let’s take a look at some of the options:
- Ginger: The essential oil for nausea that is most commonly recommended is ginger essential oil. It can be found in many different blends and stand alone oils, and it has a long history of use for upset stomachs and nausea.
- Lavender: Lavender essential oil is a great choice for nausea caused by motion sickness or stress. It helps to calm and soothe the mind and body, which can be helpful when nausea is getting in the way of your day. An added bonus is that while lavender is a popular essential oil for nausea, it’s also a great choice to combat anxiety which can often be the cause of an upset stomach for some.
- Peppermint: Peppermint essential oil is another great choice for nausea. It has a strong, refreshing scent that can help to clear the mind and keep nausea at bay. It also has a history of use for upset stomachs, so you can use it to help yourself feel better whether you’re feeling nauseous because of stress or something else entirely. Studies have even been done with post-op patients inhaling peppermint essential oil for nausea.
- Lemon: Lemon essential oil is another good essential oil to have on hand for nausea. It has a light, bright scent that can help to improve mood and boost energy levels. Additionally, lemon essential oil is a natural detoxifier which can be helpful when nausea is caused by toxins in the body.
- Fennel Seed: Fennel Seed oil has also been thought to be a very effective essential oil for nausea. It has a sweet, licorice-like scent and is known to help with digestion. When nausea is caused by digestive issues, fennel seed oil can be very helpful in alleviating those symptoms.
While these are just a few of the many oils that can combat an upset stomach and get you back to feeling like yourself, essential oil for nausea and a slew of other ailments have been a great alternative for people who would rather go a more natural route than to have to take over the counter medications that often come with side effects and other unfavorable results. If you’re ready to start your very own essential oil collection, Terry’s Natural Market has a wide selection of oils available to you, along with a very well-informed staff that takes your well being extremely seriously and would love to be able to help you!