Have you ever looked down at your leg and wonder where in the world that new bruise came from? Bruises are common, especially among women, and can sometimes seem to pop up out of nowhere without you even realizing you bumped yourself. These bruises can happen for many reasons; however, essential oils can help heal these bruises naturally. Essential oils are widely used these days for everything from cooking, to aromatherapy, to natural remedies for various ailments. People are becoming more and more conscious of what they’re putting in and on their bodies, and essential oils are a great, natural alternative to medications for many things. Next time you notice a rogue bruise, try essential oils! But what essential oils are good for bruises?
What is a Bruise?
Blood vessels that are ruptured underneath the skin will cause an unsightly bruise that can be anywhere from purple to green. Since the trauma occurs under the skin and the skin is not broken, bleeding does happen but it happens right under your skin. Essential oils for bruises can be very effective at reducing healing time and even soreness!
What are the Best Essential Oils for Bruises?
If you tried to count all the essential oils on the market today, your head would spin! There are so many different kinds and blends that sometimes it can be difficult to know which oil does what, especially if you’re relatively new to essential oils. Fear not though, we’re going to look in depth into what essential oils are best for bruises and by the end, you’ll really know your stuff!
- Yarrow or Achillea millefolium – This essential oil also has a long history of use as a healing and anti-inflammatory essential oil. Yarrow essential oil blends well with other essential oils and a recent study concluded that Yarrow sped up recovery time in various bruises. Only apply this oil to skin that is not broken and be sure to dilute it before applying directly to the skin.
- Arnica or Arnica montana – Arnica is a fantastic one to use when you’re looking for essential oils for bruises! Not only does Arnica have pain relieving qualities, but it’s been known to restore skin back to its normal color after bruising, speed up the healing process, and lessen the size of your bruise.
- Wormwood or Artemisia absinthium – While it’s important to be very cautious when using this oil, as it can be irritating to skin, Wormwood has been used in many different cultures for reducing pain and is known to be one of the best essential oils for bruises.
- Frankincense or Boswellia spp. – Frankincense can be used for a variety of things but has many pain relieving qualities and can also be used as an anti-inflammatory.
- Turmeric or Curcuma longa – Turmeric is widely used in many things now from supplements to food. Turmeric is also one of the essential oils for bruises that have become many people’s go-to! Turmeric can act as a pain reliever, helps with inflammation, and will have your bruise healed in no time!
- Rosemary or Rosmarinus officinalis – There have been many studies done with Rosemary essential oils that show it to be effective in relieving pain and reducing the size of the bruise due to its antioxidant compounds.
While this is a shorter list of essential oils for bruises, there are a plethora for you to choose from! As mentioned briefly earlier, make sure that you dilute whichever essential oil you choose before applying it directly to your skin as it can cause skin irritation and burning if used topically by itself. If you are concerned about your bruise or using essential oils on it, it’s always recommended to consult your physician first. Terry’s Natural Market has all the essential oils listed above and more for your essential oil collection!