Cold sores, also known as fever blisters, are a common viral infection. They are small, fluid-filled blisters on and around your lips. These blisters are usually grouped together in patches. Once the blisters break, a scab forms that can last several days. Cold sores usually heal in two to three weeks without leaving a scar and, unfortunately, there’s no cure for them. Some prescription antiviral pills or creams can help sores heal more quickly, and they could possibly reduce the frequency, length, and severity of future outbreaks. If you prefer a more natural solution, already have an essential oil dropper, and are trying to find out what essential oil is good for fever blisters, then you’ll enjoy the list we have compiled for you.
Read More About Where To Buy Essential Oils
Essential Oil for Cold Sores
There are several essential oils currently available that can be used to assist with fever blisters:
- Peppermint Essential Oil – Most commonly recognized by its strong and cooling scent, peppermint oil has clinically shown to provide inflammation relief and boost antiviral activity that is critical in treating fever blisters. Using an essential oil dropper, mix two drops of peppermint oil with three to four drops of olive oil and then apply the mixture.
- Oregano Essential Oil – For those who aren’t fond of the strong mint scent of peppermint, oregano oil is a natural anti-inflammatory option that also contains antiviral properties. Simply dilute 2 drops of oregano essential oil with 4 drops of carrier oil like coconut, then gently apply the mixture to the area around the blisters.
- Tea Tree Essential Oil – A well-known benefit of this oil is its potent, broad-spectrum antimicrobial activity. This oil can also moisturize the fever blister to help improve its appearance of it during the healing process. To make a lip balm with this oil mix 2 Tbsp of coconut oil with 5 drops of tea tree essential oil inside of an essential oil dropper. Then, slowly place a couple of drops on a clean finger and apply it gently.
- Lavender Essential Oil – Known for its calming and soothing properties, the lavender essential oil may also be an effective remedy for fever blisters. Some research has shown that the use of lavender essential oil on cold sores reduced blister size and healing time significantly. An effective mix involves 2 drops of lavender essential oil with 4 drops of carrier oil, such as coconut or sweet almond. Then, apply the mixture to blisters once they have scabbed.
- Lemon Essential Oil – Similar in properties to tea tree essential oil, lemon essential oil is known for its tarty scent and antimicrobial activity. Some research even suggests that using lemon oil for cold sores may help speed up the healing process of the virus during the blister stage. To create a lemon oil mixture at home, simply mix 2 drops of lemon oil with 1 drop of olive oil inside of an essential oil dropper. Then, apply the mixture using a cotton swab.
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil – With natural pain-relieving and antibacterial qualities, eucalyptus essential oil has recently been investigated for its antiviral properties. For a simple, but effective cold sore remedy, combine 4 drops of eucalyptus essential oil with 8 drops of olive oil. Then, use an essential oil dropper to carefully coat a cotton swab with the mixture before applying it to the scabbed sores.
- Melissa Essential Oil – An extremely valuable quality of melissa essential oil (also known as lemon balm) is its antiviral activity. Melissa oil fever blister remedies can be easily made at home. Mix 20 drops of melissa essential oil with ½ oz. of carrier oil, such as olive oil. Use an essential oil dropper to apply the mixture liberally to the affected site at the first signs of infection.
Read More About CBD Products
With essential oils steadily gaining popularity due to their natural status and effective results, more and more products are becoming available on the market. These essential oils are constantly being tested in clinics and researched worldwide for their benefits. As with any all-natural and alternative remedy, it is highly recommended that you do your own research first.